Doors are perhaps one if not the most important fixture in any home or office space. They act both as a division and an entry point, allowing and preventing access and even add to the overall style and appeal of the room. But shopping for internal doors in the UK is easier said than done. It’s the same for any city or country even. Not only are they an investment but they too are a functional and design piece wrapped in one.
So what then should we remember when shopping for internal doors in the UK? Here’s a list and we encourage you to take down notes.
- Know your needs. We may all be looking for internal doors but we’re not bound to end up with the same exact thing since our needs and even preferences vary. So before anything else, take a look at the essentials.
- Assess if it’s time. Are you buying for a new home or are you replacing old ones? Since replacing these fixtures will cost money, make sure that it’s time to buy and this isn’t some random outburst of impulse after scrolling through Pinterest.
- Understand door lingo. Doors may seem pretty direct and straightforward but there’s more to them than we assume. Look up and understand the terminology around them such as lite, caming, trim, stop, panels, inswing, outswing, left handed, right handed and more.
- Choose the right type. Internal doors come in different designs, makes, models and materials. Choose one that complements your needs and your space speaking of which.
- Consider the space. Which rooms will they adjoin? How much floor space and swing room is there? These are only some of the many points to consider.
- Think color. Because we want personality as much as functionality, choosing a hue or stain should be thought up well. We can’t just repaint or re-stain on a whim every few months.
- Add hardware. Depending on what you need and where they are placed, certain pieces of hardware will be added such as locks, hinges, knobs and the like.
- Factor in efficiency. Some options allow for energy efficiency which can help save on electric bills as they are better able to regulate room temperature and/or allow adequate amounts of light.
- Opt for longevity. Go for durable. This one’s pretty self explanatory.
- Shop around. There are a lot of internal doors UK shops and providers so don’t jump at the first option you see. Make sure to shop around first, compare and canvass prices, qualities and options.